Saturday, March 9, 2013

2012 recap

2012 was a big year for our little family and I know I would regret not blogging about it.

Here is our 2012 in a not so small nutshell.

We started the year off by doing some remodeling in our kitchen and bathroom. Like most remodeling projects, they took much longer than expected and we were without a functioning kitchen for over two months. Luckily all of our money and hard work paid off and we are happy with the results. Here are some of the basic before and after pictures. Our house has come a long way since we bought it two years ago.



Celebrating Valentine's Day 2012



At the end of February, I was offered a new job with Western Governors University as an enrollment counselor. I had applied several months earlier, but didn't get the job. When they called and offered me the position, I had a huge decision to make. I absolutely LOVED my current job at The Wood Connection. I had the world's best boss, amazing coworkers and a really fun work environment. I was so torn. I cried and cried and cried and prayed and prayed and prayed. I honestly didn't know what to do. I was so happy working for The Wood Connection, but for some reason I felt like I needed to give this new opportunity a chance. It was one of those moments in life where I just took a leap of faith and hoped that I was making the right choice.

I started my new job and two weeks later on March 26, this happened:



After a year and a half of trying, lots of blood tests, ultrasounds and some clomid, I finally passed the biggest and most important test of my life. I was freaking out! Josh was still in his MBA program at the time, and was in class when I found out. I ran over to Macy's and bought a little girl and little boy onesie and put it in a gift bag to give to him when he got home. He was in shock and excited when he opened the gift. We couldn't believe we were going to be parents. Easily one of the best moments of our lives.

I was then beginning to realize the reason why I had accepted my new job. Everything was starting to fall into place.

About two weeks after finding out I was pregnant, the morning 24/7 sickness started to hit me like a ton of bricks. Wow. It was rough, but like I've said before, I was grateful to be sick because that is generally a good sign that baby is doing well. Because I was so sick, there is no way physically I could have been working at The Wood Connection. At my new job, I was sitting most of the day and it was a little easier to deal with the pregnancy sickness that way. Another blessing with my new job is that I am able to do it from home. After about two months of training in the office, I was able to transition to home and it was nice to be able to throw up in my own bathroom...haha.

My home office

Anyway, April and May were pretty low key because I was so dang sick. Josh was a good sport to put up with such a boring wife. In the beginning of May, we finally had our first appointment and got to see our little gummy bear for the first time. It was love at first sight.


On June 1st, my cute cousin Whitney got married to her perfect match. I was able to go to Denver for all of the fun festivities. It was an amazing wedding! 

Several months before the wedding, Whitney asked me to sing "their" song at their wedding dinner. Well their song just happens to be "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys. Not an easy song to sing. And in case you haven't noticed, I'm not the same race as Ms. Keys. I was really nervous about singing this song, but since Whitney was nice enough to give me plenty of noticed, I practiced the heck out of it. I really don't think I went one day in those several months without practicing or listening to the song over and over. As the wedding approached, I was worried if I would be able to pull it off. I was still in the sick phase of my pregnancy, but somehow it all worked out and I feel really good about how the song turned out. I love singing and am grateful for the opportunity I had to sing at their rehearsal dinner.


Their wedding day was absolutely beautiful! I had such a fun time and I couldn't be happier for Whitney and Jimmer. I still can't believe my cuzy is married! I'm getting old.

Summer was busy with both of us working full time and trying to start getting ready for the baby. Summer just isn't the same when you're a grownup and have to work full time. I miss those fun, carefree summers in the sun.

My 10 year high school reunion was in July. That same morning, we had found out Reese was a girl, so it was fun sharing the news with our friends that night. It was fun to see old friends at the reunion and crazy to realize that it had already been 10 years since graduation. When did I get so old? They held the reunion at the school because they have been rebuilding Olympus and the school will be torn down soon. It was fun to walk the halls one last time.

Titan Pride (photo courtesy of my good friend Lisa!)

In August, we celebrated 3 years of marital bliss. Back in December of 2011, I purchased tickets to Wicked with the intention of using them for our anniversary. Josh was not happy with the amount of $$ I spent on them, but once he got to see the show up close and personal on the third row, he didn't mind. We had a great time and I know Josh enjoyed the show almost as much as I did. I will NEVER get sick of seeing Wicked. I love it so much. I think Reese liked it as well. She was moving and dancing the whole time. 


In the fall we were spoiled with some amazing baby showers from friends, family and our ward. I am so amazed and grateful for the kindness and generosity we were shown. Reese has been spoiled since day one. I wish I had taken more pictures from the showers, but this is all I have...



My Halloween costume
36 weeks pregnant


On November 16, just 12 days before Reese came, Josh's brother Jordan got married to Bekah! It was a beautiful wedding, but probably one of the longest and hardest days of my pregnancy. Being on my feet most of the day caused some tears, lots of braxton hicks contractions and the most swollen feet in the world. It really was such a perfect day for Bekah and Jordan and I felt so bad that I could help out more and fully enjoy their wedding. I would not have made it through that day without my amazing sister in-law, Jeana.

Don't mind our evil iPhone eyes and my ginormous belly.


Finally, on November 28, our beautiful baby Reese arrived safe and sound. I wish I could relive that day over and over. She is amazing and I feel so blessed that she is mine. 


December was awesome. Being on maternity leave and being able to be with Reese all day everyday was so much fun. I wish I could be on maternity leave permanently. Maybe someday. It was fun having a baby at Christmas, but also stressful because she was so new and I am a germ freak. Thankfully, most people have been respectful of my germ fears for Reese. Hopefully it will continue. Anyway, December was amazing.
Being able to learn how to be a mom and getting to know my sweet baby were definite highlights of the year and of my life. I love being a mom so much and can't wait to expand our family some more someday. 


2012 was one of the best years yet! I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for our little family.

2 comments:

Abe and Lisa said...

Love the recap! 2012 was an exciting year for you guys. So glad Reese is here safe and sound!!

Rolled Up Pretty said...

LOVE that you updated! You had a GREAT year, girl! :) WHEN CAN WE GET TOGETHER!???? :)