Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Our imperfectly perfect Valentine's Day

We had had an interesting but really fun Valentine's Day this year.

Valentine's Day is such a unique holiday. I've always liked the holiday, even when single because I see it as a way to celebrate any type of love, not just romantic love.

Ever since our first Valentine's Day together when I "didn't give Josh a gift" I have wanted to make it up to him and make his Valentine's Day memorable.

I saw this idea on Pinterest and decided that would be an easy and fun way to spoil him a little each day leading up to the 14th. He loved getting a little surprise each day.



I thought I had really gone all out, but then Josh had to outdo me and surprised me with this...


I am still in shock. Such a fun an unexpected surprise. 9 out of 10 times, Josh has me pick out my own gifts, so it was fun to receive something that he picked out for once. He did well.

For dinner we decided to try a new restaurant that we had never been to and also had a gift card for. Our babysitting arrangements for Reese fell through, but we were fine to take her with us. We had a reservation for 5:20, which was perfect because we would miss the large crowds and still have time to do something fun afterward before Reese needed to go to bed.

We were excited to try this new restaurant because we had heard good things, but I can honestly say that we have no intention of ever going back. Here is why:

When we checked in with the hostess, she said in a snooty voice, "Your reservation is for two and you have three people. I guess I can find a highchair." WOW. We never changed our reservation because a.) Reese is only ONE and b.) she is still in a highchair, which should be easy to add to any table. We did not think it would be a big deal. Also, not even 1/4 of the restaurant was full at the time, so it really shouldn't have been that big of a deal that we had our cute daughter with us. The hostess got a highchair and placed it at our table and acted completely annoyed and put out the entire time.

Since we had never eaten at this restaurant before, we had looked online at their rather large menu and had a few things in mind that sounded good. Well much to our dismay, they had  a "special" Valentine's menu, which basically meant they were only offering a very limited amount of what their normal menu had on it. None of the items I had considered ordering were on there. Nothing sounded too enticing to either one of us and their prices had gone up slightly for this "special" menu. I understand that they were trying to make it easier on the cooks and provide faster service on a busy night, but it was still disappointing. Another stupid thing was that they didn't have a kids menu. That seemed weird to me because every restaurant I've ever been to at least has something in kids portions available.

Our waiter came and took our order and it was obvious he wasn't too thrilled with the fact that we had Reese with us. He came back a few minutes later and asked us to move the highchair so that it wouldn't be in the way....no one was sat at the table behind her highchair and the hostess was the one that put the highchair there. We were really bothered that everyone seemed to be put out that we had a child with us. Anyone that thinks my child is an inconvenience is no friend of mine.

Our food came and Josh had about 5 small raviolis in his dish and my chicken tasted like it was a Western Family frozen dinner. Josh's raviolis were actually really good, but not enough to fill up a starving man. We got our check as soon as we could and were out of there by 6:00. We were still hungry, and since it was early, we decided to go down to City Creek to eat in the food court and walk around and go in a few stores. Chick Fila had never tasted so good! haha


duck face!

The cutest little Valentine I could ever wish for (no offense, Josh!)


The three of us enjoyed our chicken nuggets and then had a fun time walking around and shopping. It was perfect. Even though our original dinner was a complete disappointment, the rest of the night was absolutely perfect. I love nothing more than spending time with my two loves.

No comments: